Seasonal Change

We woke this morning to our second snowfall of the season.  It started earlier than was predicted, and lasted longer.  The snow here is usually light and powdery, and this was no exception.  The sage, the tall grasses, the fir trees; all were covered and within a few hours, all trace of the storm had melted away.  The winds picked up and blew the sky clear, and this afternoon is bright and sunny.  Almost every day here provides some sun, and that is a welcome change from grey Chicago where we lived before moving to New Mexico.

I had plans to get up early, but it was cold and quiet, and Bruce was sleeping softly next to me, so I had no desire to move.  Instead I spent an extra two hours lying in bed, reading short stories, catching up on the news on my phone, and tackling a couple of crossword puzzles.  A perfect morning.

When I finally rose and started my usual morning routine, it was after 10:00am.  I had nowhere in particular that I needed to be, and no one to answer to, since being laid off from my job a couple of weeks ago.  So, I had a cup of tea, green, and did a little yoga, a little meditation, a little journaling.  I think I should be stressed about money but I’m not right now.  This pattern has happened so often these past few years that I no longer have the energy to worry, which is a welcome change, as I usually worry about all manner of things, both real and imagined.   I have everything I need today, so no complaints.

After a quick shower, I headed back to the kitchen.  Bruce had started the wood fire in the living room and it was really roaring.  I could hear classical music playing in his painting studio, which meant that he was working.  We were both warm, cozy and relaxed.  I made a batch of almond milk, and then a batch of walnut cheese.  I was happy and hungry and lunch was delicious.

I spent most of the weekend clearing out and organizing; first the bathroom cabinets, then tackling my clothes.  I feel a bigger change coming than just the shift in seasons and the energy needs to move.  It is well and truly autumn-into-winter, so I wanted to pack away my summer things and re-introduce myself to my cold-weather wardrobe.  I have lost about 15 pounds since the early summer, so everything required trying on and re-evaluating.  I spent several hours on Saturday catching up on podcasts while trying on clothes, finding new combinations, saying goodbye to pieces that no longer fit me physically or emotionally, making a pile for repairs.  Two large bags now sit in my entryway to go to the charity shop.  Apparently, I am no longer a dress person, but can still feel great in skirts.  I had purchased a new pair of boots for the winter a few weeks ago, and to my delight they looked good with almost everything.  They are black and big and chunky and made of Cordura, which felt better than buying leather.  They are practical for the weather and terrain here in the high desert mountains, but a little badass as well.  On Sunday I worked through my stack of repairs, and got through all but two pieces.  I like to work while listening to the 1920’s Radio Network. It feels very appropriate for “make do and mend” moments.  Dinner was an improvised casserole of roasted zucchini, leftover homemade tomato sauce, a copious amount of chopped black olives, chopped walnut & vegan cheese, served over sautéed kale.  A comforting end to a cold weekend.  I sometimes have trouble sleeping, but a combination of chamomile tea and magnesium powder has proved to be the perfect nightcap. 



I
t was the New Moon yesterday and I forgot to make my intentions for the coming month.  I think I’m still within the designated window, so I’ll write those out tonight. A Cooper’s Hawk came to visit me the other morning, perching in the tree outside my office window, just after I finished my meditation.  They say a hawk means the Universe has a message for you.  I’m listening.

Thanks for reading,


Terry

Monday, October 28, 2019
Taos, NM


Comments

Popular Posts